- Mica told me, "Mom I want my hair to look like Harry Potter's." I said, "What hair style? He had lots of them." He showed me this style:
- When Isaak had a little longer hair it looked pretty good. His hair is fine, and he has a cowlick in the back of his hair. If it's short it has to be cut all the time. Otherwise it turns into a tail back there. If his hair grows out a little then there's no constant cutting needed. He prefers his hair short.
It will be a summer of hair experimentation.
- Travis has been working in a dental lab a few days a week, or whatever they need help with. The job isn't stable, but it's work, and maybe we don't need stable right now. He wants time to be with the kids during the summer. He need to make more sculpture. He's sold a lot of his pieces, and other pieces are on display.
- It seems like once a week something majorly bad happens here. It used to not be that way. Omaha, Nebraska is a good place to raise a family. Lately I think everywhere is getting bad crime wise. We finally have an African American president, and racism is higher than it has been in a long time. Cops are thought of as the enemy to some people. Sure many have power trips, but most are in the job for the right reasons. This week a lady cop was killed. She left behind 3 children, one of which is in the NICU. She was expected to begin maternity time when her preemie was released from the hospital. In my opinion she should not have been out on the streets at all. She should have been with her newborn, and letting her body recover.
- The US is going backward in terms of maternity care. You can read an article here about it. UK, France, the Netherlands, China or South Korea rank higher than the US for maternity leave and care. A study by NCBI showed that women given longer maternity leaves suffered less depression and lowered infant mortality rates. While some may shrug off depression, it costs the United States half a trillion dollars per year to treat. I could write a whole post just about this topic. It pisses me off that new mothers are treated so shitty by the work place. I had to take vacation time to have each of my kids. I had to take short lunches to make up for pumping time. Here another co-worker that isn't full time, but taught none the less smoked more then my pumping time. To even compare the two is down right disgusting. I'll never be ok with the lack there of, of laws in support of pumping for a baby, and paid maternity time. My middle finger goes up to the US for that!
After Mica showed me Harry Potter's hair, he followed up the conversation with, "My goal is to be able to have my hair in a ponytail by next year. I can't picture that on him. Isaak said, "I don't think that will look very good Mica." I had to laugh, and slightly agreed.