- Camps keeps them busy
- Camps are fun
- Different camps allow them to learn without even them realizing it
- They are watched ;)
- Camps can be deducted off on taxes like child care
The last camp the boys went to was in my opinion the best one. Well minus Mica getting a rash one time from the mud. That's a different story from a different year.
Hummel Day Camp is only $35 a week. Yep you heard that right! That is 9-4, with bussing and a lunch provided!
You can visit Hummel Park any time for free. You can't do archery, but they have hiking, golf frisbee and playgrounds. It's supposed to be haunted. They had a lot of ghost stories for us when we were kids, but now they don't tell them. The stories would scare the kids and spread rumors that weren't true.
What Do They Do:
- Cook their own lunch
- Make Smores
- Have a muddy day
- Learn about nature
- A few outdoor games
- Sing songs
- Learn skits
- Go clean, leave dirty
- They ware them out
The problem is that it fills up in a matter of a few minutes. So, if you're not on top of it, ready to sign up on their crappy city website, then you loose a chance at signing up.
My sister and I actually practiced ahead of time, called each other to remind one another, and it went slick this year! We got all 4 boys in! Isaak and Elijah are the same age. Mica and Evan are the same age, but a year apart in school.
My sister was so kind to allow Travis to drop them off at her house, and she took them to the bus stop and picked them up, then he picked them up at her house at the end of his work shift. We had a dilemma that week. Travis was still manning the lab because his 2 bosses and co-worker were out of town. He was the man in charge.
- Isaak thought he lost his newish hat. He was in tears over it. After looking and looking we finally found out that it was Mica that left his hat somewhere, and Mica had Isaak's hat. It was left at Aunt Terra's, so no biggy.
- Isaak was told to wear his crappiest shoes. Well he wore his nice basketball shoes to camp. They got ultra muddy, so I was more mad about that than the hat he thought he lost.
- Some kid pushed Isaak and said, "Push me and I'll tell you if it hurts." Well Isaak pushed him. One thing is true, Isaak doesn't put up with things. Don't mess with him! We had a talk about that. The camp didn't even bring it up to us; Isaak did. The camp redirected the kid's attention to something else, which is a great way to handle the situation.
- The boys were jumping on the trampoline at Aunt Terra's. Too many were on. Elijah pushed his 3 year old brother Edison into Isaak. They bumped heads. Crying was involved. Isaak pushed Elijah back. Again don't mess with Isaak!
Isaak has always been the youngest/smallest out of the cousin group: Evan, Mica, Elijah and Isaak. They all hung out early on in their lives because Terra and Travis babysat. I think because Isaak was the youngest in the pack he got picked on. There was a moment where Isaak had enough! He wouldn't stand for injustice.
I do like how in this world of little empathy - Isaak has a lot of empathy. He stands up for friends, cousins and himself. He wants a world that has justice. He doesn't fight a person without being picked of first.
As a parent I'm not sure I have the answers for everything. Certainly I don't have the answers for Isaak standing up for what he feels is right. I've told him about choosing his battles. Sometimes I think as a society boys would be better to battle it out. Most of them would quickly get over their problem after that. We live in a different world now.
At home when the kids have a struggle I send them outside with boxing gloves. So far no one has broken any bones, and they are happier after their time outside.
Mica came up with a camp song that went to Queens, Bohemian Rhapsody. He spent quite a bit of time on it, and was proud of his lyrics. It really pissed him off when he didn't win that competition. Just like we had a talk with Isaak about his problems above, we talked with Mica about competition. He'll soon go to middle school with a lot more kids than what he's used to. Competition will be much more of a thing.
Anyhow for his camp Mica won the Bohemian Rhapsody award.