- I'm going to tell you a little bit about me when I was an itty bitty child. Some claim that I didn't smile until I was 2. I was very shy. In fact I wouldn't order from restaurants until I was in 6th grade.
There is hope for shy people. Now I'm a teacher. I still like quiet time when I get home, but that usually doesn't happen.
I was also bald until I was 2. My baby picture hung in my bedroom, and I tried drawing hair on it.
- I loved my little sister. Mainly because I could dress her up, and she'd play the part of the baby when we played house. Through her I didn't have to grow up so fast. She is 5 years younger than I am. I played with Barbies and dolls 5 years beyond what most kids did. My mom said I was very good about including her in my play.
The one time I was bad to her was when I was in charge of taking care of her. I made her go to her room, and I tied her door handle, to the bathroom door handle, and lastly to my parent's door handle. She was tied into her room. This is not something I'm proud of. While my friend and I were doing this, my parents caught us in the act. My friend had to go home. Trust me I was much better to her than my older sister was to me.
- I had 2 pit bulls growing up. They were nice dogs. I hate that their breed gets a bad name because people treat them poorly. They would give us sled rides, play tug of war, fetch, play hide and seek, and let me sleep on their bellies in the sun. Watching them play hide and seek was fun. My Dad would put them downstairs. They knew what it was about, and would bark happy barks. Then he'd hide their treats around the house. They'd come up, and have to find them.
- I'm a sleep walker and talker. I shared a bedroom with my sister Angie. She told me that I'd often talk nonsense in my sleep. Once I must of had a dream about going on a picnic, and rattled off all the things we were bringing. Another time I got up, walked over to my sister's backpack, blew my nose on it, and said, "That feels better."
- Once I almost burnt our childhood house down. My sister Angie got a purple stuffed animal monkey. It was so cute sitting on the top of our reading lamp, so I put it there. My sister complained to our Dad about me having body odor. She kept saying, "I can't go to sleep. She just smells so bad!" He came in the room and smelled all over me. I was playing possum. He said, "Well I smell it, but it's not Alissa." It took him a minute to find out that it was the purple monkey's butt that was nearly on fire. We're lucky it didn't light up in flames. He had a permanently black butt, and had to be thrown out.
What's a childhood memory that you have?
To this day I feel kind of bad - You see my parents had to get rid of our dogs because of me. I kept having asthma attacks and had huge allergy problems. I was sick all the time. My Dad in particular loved those dogs. They got rid of them, so I would be healthier. So much for having a pet to build up a tolerance.
I'd love to say I grew out of sleep talking and walking. When I was in high school I stayed at a friend's house, and actually got up and left the house in the middle of the night. No worries I came back. As an adult I've had dreams I was a dinosaur, a werewolf, and dragon. Each dream someone was after me. I roared in my dream, which was reality, scared the crap out of Daddy and woke myself up to.