- I was told the other day by one of my first year students that I cuss. I said, "Really?!" I admit that I do at home, but it's not a regular occurrence for me in class. I said, "I don't think I've said anything that's worse than regular TV airs." She said, "Probably."
Now I'm all self conscious about what I say and how it's said. It will probably show up on my evaluations. I mentioned this to the Education Director. She laughed because cussing isn't something I do at work. At home - yes, at work it's not. It's nothing I would have thought that a college instructor would have to worry about. Maybe, Damn, Dang, and Crap are cuss words to her.
- Last year I saw an article about how cussing is good for you. I thought of my Dad, who cusses all the time. Then when all the above stuff happened I thought about it again. Here's an article, here's an article, and here's an article. Do you cuss? Do you think cussing is healthy because it blows off steam? Does cussing offend you?
It offended me a few times - 1) When students cuss and a family tour walks through the school. Ummm that just can't happen! 2) I went to a lecture on typography, and the presenter was really pregnant and cussed the whole time. I just thought for a presentation to lay down the F word wasn't becoming. It's different if she was trying to make a point with her choice words, but she wasn't. Seeing her prego and hearing her cuss was just not new Mommy like.
- I have a few cell phone user students. I don't mind if they use it in lab, but while I'm talking it's so annoying! I've made blanket statements about it. The crazy thing is that my older students are the ones I have more problems with on cell phone usage.
- A teacher was telling Mica's middle school class rules. She said, "Girls I don't want to see your twin sisters." She was talking about cleavage - boobs. I got home that say and Mica said, "Mom don't show your twin sisters." I didn't know what he was talking about. They had to tell me.
- You never know who's going to see this, that or the other. Well Mica saw this bumper sticker on our trip:
|Buy it here.|