- I've been thinking about movies, TV, and video games in connection to kids. We've never had cable. Any movie that we let the boys watch is under our control. About the only channel they watch is PBS at our house. I'm sure they watch other things at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
I've let them watch old Lone Ranger episodes. There's shooting in those. They watch super hero movies. Some I don't mind, while others I do. We've had talks about what's real, and what's not. I don't feel like I should cover up all things with my kids. They are going to be exposed to stuff. They need to experience some things, so when they get older it's not all new to them.
My kids are not big into video games. Their favorite game is Super Mario Bros and Monsters Vs. Aliens. I would never let them play anything that is for a mature audience only.
In regards to movies I won't let my kids watch anything rated R. PG 13 has to be previewed by us first. The biggest thing I watch for is watching things that has a lot of sexual implications. I won't let them watch any Transformer movies because they flaunt the sexy girl a little too much. Mica in particular I have to watch. He notices girls. Sexy stuff is everywhere. In society we worry about girls, and what they think of their own bodies. I'm here to tell you that I worry about my own boys. I want them to respect girls. I don't want them to get hung up on what what looks good, or what feels good when they are teens. I'm not naive, I know they'll do some of that anyway. I just hope I can help them to understand that they should respect girls. They should not judge only on looks. I really hope that they don't become fathers before they are ready to be fathers. I don't want them to only go for a certain body type because it's what society flaunts. To me the biggest, best thing we can do with our kids is have a conversation. Discuss fiction and reality. Talk about respecting girls. Listen to them when they are telling us about their day.
- I feel like this weekend is going to be a waste. I seriously have no time to do anything I want to do. I don't even have time to clean my house.
- We're taking Grandpa out for for breakfast for Father's Day next weekend. I got him a book I know he'll enjoy. We spent a little more on him for birthday, so we're going a little lighter on Father's Day. For my husband I had the boys help me make playing cards for him on Shutterfly. I usually don't get my husband much, we just go out for breakfast. One year I did a mug with the kid's artwork, another year I did candy bar card.
- On the last week of school this (*See picture below.) visited my kid's school. They've been talking about it every so often since then. It's the little, or in this case big things that matter.
- Tomorrow I have the school (where I work) graduation ceremony. It's held in a different spot. I've never been there, everyone seems clueless about where it is, and I just hope I don't get lost getting there.
What do you do for Father's Day?