I've been longing to make my own almond milk. To be honest I was scared to make my own milk. I was thinking for sure I'd make a mess, or waist the nuts because I'd do something wrong.
There's a stabliizer put in rice, almond and soy milk called, "Carrageenan". I'm not going to pretend I know a whole lot about Carrageenan, but I do know that additives of any kind usually are not good. It's better if you can make your own of things. I'm not going to make my own milk 100% of the time, but I will when I have the time.
Making nut milk is actually pretty easy.
I am so lucky to have gotten Zimtal Nut Milk Bag for review. Zimtal made what seemed possibly hard to me, so easy! Along with their bag to make nut milk, they send a link to get a free PDF recipe book.
There are recipes for:
- Cashew Milk
- Almond Milk
- Pistachio Milk
I thought it was wonderful tasting!
Here are the steps:
Soak 1 cup of nuts in tap water overnight.
2. Rinse the nuts, and put them in the blender with 4 cups filtered water.
3. Add your choice of sweetener, vanilla and salt. I added 2 Tablespoons of local honey, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and no salt for me.
Other Ways to Enjoy Nut Milk:
- Chocolate Nut Milk: Use the recipe above, and add 2 Tablespoons of raw cacao nibs or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cinnamon Nut Milk: Use the recipe above, and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg
- Chai Nut Milk: Use the recipe above, and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4. Blend all the ingredients together.
5. Pour it into Zimtal Nut Milk Bag to strain it. I helped it with my fingers as shown in the photo below.
About the Zimtal Nut Milk Bag:
- It's rated #1 as a Nut Milk Bag
- It's food grade
- Food Strainer
- Filter bag
- Fine mesh strainer
- Mesh filter
- Washes great
- Has multiple uses in the kitchen
- It has a drawstring
- Doesn't let pulp through
- You'll never have to buy cheese cloth again
- Can make nut milks, yogurt, and strain chicken stock
- It's made in the USA
- $19.95 on sale for $10.95
- There's something wrong with my milk it's separating in the fridge, and looks gross. What's wrong with it? Nothing is wrong with your milk. Naturally made things do that. Shake it and drink it.
- How long does it last? 4 days from delivery. Because this product is fresh and raw, there are no preservatives or additives, which is why there is a shorter shelf life than the boxed almond milks. It's fresh, and you know what's in it.
Disclaimer: The opinions on the post are my personal take on the product. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.