I saw a simple snack pinned, awhile back. I knew I wanted to try making the snack. Off to the store I went to get some organic apples.
I don't get organic everything, but with apples I get organic ones. Their skins are so thin, that the pesticides sprayed on non organic apples goes right through to the apple. On top of that apple companies put a wax coating to make it shinny, and more appealing to buy.
I'll take the apple with no wax thank you.
I made what I call Apple Sandwiches. It was a hit with Mica and Isaak!
1. First wash an apple, and cut an apple into slices.
2. Next cut out the center of the apple. There is way less waste cutting an apple this way, than any other way.
3. Find the biggest apple pieces, and spread a nut butter on them. I used homemade almond butter. There's sunflower seed butter, and peanut butter you could use to. I try and use nut butters that have little added to them.
4. Next you can sprinkle any or all the above: Nuts, seeds, oatmeal, unsweetened coconut, mini cinnamon, or chocolate chips. I sprinkled pumpkin seeds, oatmeal, and mini chocolate chips on ours.
We looked in the store, and pumpkin seeds have more protein than any of the nuts. I'm trying to use them more.
5. You can put an apple slice on the top, or you can leave the top off. Either way they are yummy!
6. I added a little tiny bit of local honey comb on the boy's sandwiches. They loved it.
It was an easy, peasy good treat!